Saturday, March 20, 2010

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup


The other day I as I was going through my magazines, I happened upon the Feb/March 2010 issue of "Taste of Home." As I thumbed through it again, I saw a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Chowder that looked as good as it sounded. So after culling through our pantry I found I had some of the ingredients but not all of them. So I improvised and came up with a close version of it. Let me tell you, this is such a creamy, hearty soup that is easy and definitely on the "make again" list.


Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 (10 3/4 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
2 c. whole milk
2 c. chicken stock
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/4 c. diced bell pepper (I used frozen pre-chopped)
2 c. diced chicken (I used frozen boneless skinless breasts)
1 tsp. enchilada seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
black pepper to taste
1/4 c. chopped jalapeno peppers
3-4 flour tortillas, cut into small strips
2 c. grated cheese


In a medium skillet, combine chicken, bell pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, enchilada seasoning and pepper. Saute until meat is no longer pink. If you already have cooked chicken on hand, omit this step. Just add seasonings directly to the soup and allow it to season as it cooks.




In a stock pot combine soup, milk and chicken stock. Stir to mix well. Heat thoroughly. Stir in drained corn, chicken mixture and chopped jalapenos. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in grated cheese. Heat until cheese is melted. Stir in tortilla strips and cook for 5-8 minutes. Serve warm.

*if soup is too thick add chicken stock as desired

**Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

Click HERE for printable recipe

2 comments:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Yesterday I probably wouldn't have been as interested. Seventy plus degrees just doesn't call for soup. However, 24 hours later we're at 34 degrees!!!! This sounds deliciously warm, and that's what we need for the next couple of days. Thanks!

Keeper of the Home said...

Grammy B ~
I hear you on the weather issue. We had bright sunny spring like weather yesterday only to wake up to rain and wintery temps today. This is playing heck on getting our garden in.

~Mrs. M