Sunday, April 26, 2009

From Trash To Treasure

We had some day old bread that was still edible but really wasn't enough to make 2 full sandwiches, so you know me...I can't throw anything out. I took it, cubed it up, placed it in a zip top bag and froze it. As I get more bread remnants, I'll cut those up and stick those in the bag with this batch. It'll keep just fine in the freezer until I'm ready to make more homemade bread crumbs.

This little treasure almost got thrown out today but I was able to save it. Won't this make a great bucket to use when harvesting our vegetables from the garden!?!

4 comments:

Cranky G. said...

I do that too! Since all my chicks have flown the coop, I have plenty of leftover hamburger buns, bread, etc. I also cube up dry bread and stockpile it for stuffing! I don't use the oven method for this one - just tear it up by hand and freeze it - then dump the frozen hunks into the big "stuffing" bag in the freezer. It's nice to have one less thing on the list in November!

Keeper of the Home said...

Doesn't that make the best stuffing!?! I use my bread for that too. Great minds think alike.

The Raggedy Girl said...

I never thought about making my own crumbs but that sounds like a great idea.

The Raggedy Girl- Roberta Anne

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I like to freeze left over bread and make bread crumbs out of it. I'm afraid we don't use bread for stuffing. DH won't eat anything but cornbread dressing, just that southern boy coming out. My DIL from Maine makes the best stuffing , but he won't touch it...Men...
We also use little baskets like that together from the garden in. I have several that my Brother sent Fruit to us in, when he lived in FL. I just love them.