Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Delightful Day

Today began with one of those "unexpected," phone calls early in the morning. I got a call from my Dad saying he was taking the day off from work and wanted to see if I had plans already. Well, it just so happened I only had a light schedule for the day that could very easily be worked around. So we began our journey of Father/Daughter time with breakfast. Then we took care of an errand Dad needed to tend to. This was actually a two-fold errand because it also involved something I needed to take care for Hubby. So it was a win-win for all of us.

We made a short pit stop at the bookstore to look around. Oh how I love, love, love the bookstore. While there I spied the current issue of Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade magazine. You all know how much I adored the premier issue so of course I had to pick this copy up. I did end up subscribing to to the magazine, but that was just a few weeks ago, so I am not sure if I'll get this issue or not in the mail. But either way I have it. So if I end up with two copies of this edition, I can easily bless someone else with it.

Next we stopped to check out the Mrs. Baird's Thrift Store. Neither of us planned to purchase anything, especially since I had just made several loaves of bread the other day, but I spotted a few things that I couldn't pass up. I got 3 loaves of specialty breads (Honey Oat, Sweet Dark Wheat & 100% Whole Wheat) for $0.89 cents and a package of Whole Wheat hamburger buns for $0.69 cents each. As we checked out the cashier told us that we could get one item of our choice from a certain rack free. Free? We didn't know this, but Wednesdays are senior citizen days, so because of my Dad we were able to get the Whole Wheat hot dog buns for free. That was a blessing. So all total for 4 packages of breads & buns I spent $3.64. Not too shabby, huh!?! They are still fresh. The only thing is the expiration date is either tomorrow or 2 days from now. Since they are going in the freezer until we need them...who cares. They will be just as good when we pull them out to use them later on.

5 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I wish we had a store around here for discount bread, we had one several years ago, but for some reason it left. I like to buy discounted stuff at Wal-Mart, when they put bread or cakes that will run out of date in aday or 2 and I also freeze it.
But the best treasure you got was to spend the day with your Daddy.
Molly

Keeper of the Home said...

Molly, you are absolutely right! Spending time with my dad was worth it's weight in gold. Just as anyone, my Dad & I get on each other's nerves at times, but above all...he's my Daddy & I love him! *grin*

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

What a nice way to spend the day with your dad!

Mrs. B

Cranky G. said...

Great deals!

Reading this reminded me of something I do that others may find helpful!

It's very difficult for us to use an entire loaf of bread these days, but I came up with a few ideas that seem to work:

I keep one of those huge zip lock bags in the freezer and toss in absolutely every hamburger bun, dinner roll, half loaf of bread, leftover french, well, you know what I mean!

When you have time (ha ha!) make croutons, bread crumbs in every flavor, stuffing mix, you name it! A food processor, a few spices, freezer containers or ziplocks and you are good to go!

I love having bread crumbs ready to go for any casserole topping, and Thanksgiving stuffing really is better! Plus, my own croutons make any salad taste just a little better!

Sorry this is such a long post!

Keeper of the Home said...

Cranky G ~
Not a problem at all! Never worry about the length of anything. We all have something to say and tome, every word is important.