Thursday, April 21, 2011

Growing Weary

Sometimes it's easy to do the right thing, while at other times it's a little more complicated. It's not that we don't know what the right thing is to do, it's a concern for the repercussions of actually doing it. Alas, we do the right thing, not because of anyone or for anyone, but because it IS the right thing.

Faced with a situation that was not of my doing, not of my choosing nor really my immediate concern, I was asked if I could help. Only because it was the right thing to do I stepped up to the plate and did what I could. The immediate result was appreciation (not that this is at all what I was looking for) but appreciation soon grew to an unspoken comfort level on the receivers part that resulted in an abuse of the help. Still knowing it was right to do what I was doing, I continued to help w/out saying a word. There comes a point when you have to speak out & in the most non-confrontational manner I could, I did just that. I voiced the issue at hand & asked for a little correction of the handling. This went to no avail. Again, it was the right thing to do so I overlooked it as best I could. Finally, there comes a point where people are pushed to their limit & they have to choose between two rights and that is exactly what I was forced to do. I had to make the choice to continue with things spiraling downward by the hand of another or stand up for what was right concerning that which affected me directly. I chose to stand up for myself.

Galatians 6:9 tells us "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." As much as we know the Word of the Lord is right, we sometimes wonder what's the point in well doing if it seems as if the result is always the same....a swift kick in the teeth! A friend of mine has recently expierenced a situtation close to mine & she too has felt the pangs of being kicked in the teeth for her well doing. Let me tell you...it really gets old when this seems to be the result more often than not. What happens then? You grow weary of things and want to throw in the towel and say "no more! never again! please don't allow me to have to do this again Lord!" But then you have to repent and remember Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my (the Lord's) ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

So as I sit here pondering things, I can't help but know that the Lord already knew what was going to happen during the course of this situation, but what's more...He had it in His control the entire thime and remains too even now. Regardless of what it looks like right now, it may be hard, but don't give up or give in. The Lord is your strength. Keep pressing in and pressing on.

2 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

I once talked to my pastor about this matter and he said being a Christian did not mean we were door mats. It's very important to set up boundaries and enforce those boundaries.
My thoughts are with you.

Keeper of the Home said...

Domestic ~
Your Pastor is absolutely right...we should not be door mats but it seems others like to use the term "Christian" as amunition against those that are because they feel as if we are just 'supposed' to let things go and keep on being used. Thank you for your reminder & your Pastor's reminder of this very thing.