Thursday, July 1, 2010

What Happens At A Red Light

Sitting at a dead stop at a red light, we felt the impact of being rear-ended at high speed. Thankfully the LORD protected us and we only sustained minor damage...at least from what can be seen with the naked eye. Hopefully after the collision center assess the damage they won't find anything more.





However, the vehicle of the one who hit us sustained quiet a bit of damage. The pictures don't really show the extent but it was not minor. Although no one was injured, it really makes you question why someone would be driving at speeds of excess when it's raining. Unfortunately, this is common practice for most drivers and no thought is given until something happens. Will they learn from it? You hope so but once they get back into the comfort zone they are usually back to their old driving habits.







The fact that the accident is an inconvenience in itself is one thing, but when you try to communicate with the offender and they speak no English, act as if they can't read English and are hearing impaired on top of it....boy does this make for a long day. Worse yet, the offender's passenger had the same communication barriers as well. UUGGHHH!! As best we could to get information out of the people, we seemed to be getting no where quicker and quicker. Even the police officer had trouble communicating with them. Finally we were able to get an ID card and insurance information.....but it was far from easy. If my child were that young, couldn't hear, couldn't understand the English language and were obviously inexperienced in driving, I certainly would not be allowing them to drive that far from home. (From the address on the ID card as well as the insurance documents, they were definitely not from around here.)

Now we wait for an adjuster to contact us so that we can proceed with repairs to our vehicle. What a mess.


2 comments:

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

I can realte to your frustration all too well. A few years ago I was rear-ended while at a dead stop at a stop light. The estimated speed at time of the impact was around 45 mph (fortunately, a police officer was also at the same red light traveling the opposite direction and saw the collision). Not only was my car totaled, but I also sustained a serious left shoulder injury from my own seatbelt, of which I continue to deal with to this day. My offender was NOT insured AND she and her passenger were talking on their cell phones at the time of the collsion. By the time I paid out all my medical bills from the settlement provided by my own insurance company, I was left without a vehicle for two years.

There was a nice benefit that arose from this situation. My husband and I found out that once we learned to do some advanced planning and scheduling, being a one-car family was not as terrible as we had anticipated it would be. To this day we continue to be a one car family. (note: a couple years ago after a career change, my husband was provided with a company vehicle, however, he is not allowed drive it for personal use & since he works in another state, it's never at our house when he's home for visits).

I praise the Lord that no-one was injured during your accident and I continue to pray that there isn't any serious damage to your vehicle.

Mrs.B

Farming On Faith said...

I am so sorry!

My Friend~
Happy 4th of July.
May God Bless Us All!
Blessings From Missouri~
Carrie