Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Re-visiting An Old Friend & Fresh Bread

Today I decided to spend a little time with an old friend. I had seen this trusty pal many times over the past several months but, it was just in passing...unfortunately, I just hadn't given any time to our relationship. I wasn't going to let that be the case today though. So after a few moments of finding the perfect recipe I wanted to make, I pulled out my faithful bread machine and gave her a good once over. Yes, she had a bit of cabinet dust on her from being stored away for so long, but I gave her a good wipe down and then filled her with ingredients. Even though I had neglected her, she still started right up and began to mix, knead and bake a fresh loaf of bread for me. Oh how she hummed as she worked for me. That sound...that glorious sound. She didn't hold it against me for not giving her that proper place in our kitchen all these months. But no more...she now graces our counter top where she rightfully belongs.



The fact that I had neglected my trusty bread machine, yet she still was there for me when I needed her (or should I say...when I was ready for her) made me think. How many times do we go about our busy routines only to walk right by our Heavenly Father and not even give Him a few minutes of our time? Faithfully, He waits and waits until we "have time for Him" or "need something from Him" and then we decide it's time to invite the Lord over for a visit. Even though we may neglect this precious relationship, the Lord is always willing to meet us where we are...and on our time schedule. He is forever our trusty friend that we can call upon anytime of the day. How sad that we fail to give Him His proper place in our lives. I am guilty of this myself, so I claim no exceptions or make any excuses. But no more!

"Jesus I give You my full attention and place You front and center in my life. I repent of taking You and our relationship for granted. Please forgive me Lord of wasting precious time by serving myself and my self-centered needs instead of asking what it is that You would have me do. Father, I am sorry for any wrong that I have made in life and mistakes I have made because I have failed to keep my focus on You. Thank You for always being there for me, even when I passed You by and left You waiting for a moment of my time. Take my life and let it be a sweet savor to You. I love You, my Heavenly Father. In Jesus Name I pray. ~Amen"



Oatmeal, Wheat & Flax Bread (Bread Machine Version)
1-1/2 c. luke warm water
2 Tblsp. oil
1 Tblsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt3-3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. uncooked oatmeal
2 Tblsp. flax seed powder
2 tsp. dry yeast (not rapid rise)

Add ingredients in order as suggested by your bread maker recommendations. Set machine to wheat bread cycle and select 2-lb loaf size. Start machine and let bake. Yields: 2-lb loaf


**Baker's Note: this is a dense, semi heavy bread that can be used for sandwiches quite nicely, however it will not be as "light" as most sandwich breads are.

Click HERE for printable recipe

No comments: