Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Corn Sausage Chowder


A sweet friend of mine shared this recipe with me the other day. She knows I am a comfort food fan and thought this would hit the mark. Let me tell you, it certainly is a tasty soup that I know will be made many times over in our home from her on out. Thank you Crank Grandma for sharing this with me. I didn't have potatoes tonight, so I revised the recipe.

Original recipe in black. My personal revisions in red.

Corn Sausage Chowder

1 lb. bulk pork sausage
1 c. onions, chopped
4 c. cubed, peeled potatoes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 c. water
1 (17 oz.) can cream style corn
1 (17 oz.) can whole kernel corn
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1/3 of a 2 lb. loaf Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 pints pork stock instead of water
4-5 dashes hot sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tblsp. cornstarch & water to make a slurry




In Dutch oven or kettle, cook sausage and onion until sausage is brown and onion tender. Drain on paper towel. Return sausage, onion to Dutch oven with potato, salt, marjoram, pepper, garlic powder, hot sauce and water (pork stock instead of water). Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add cream style corn and whole kernel corn and milk. Add in Velveeta cheese and stir until melted. Add in cornstarch slurry to thicken soup. Heat thoroughly.


Click HERE for printable recipe

Recipe source: Cranky Grandma

1 comment:

Cranky G. said...

You are such a doll! I'm glad you liked it!