Sunday, December 13, 2009

Caramel Apple Cookies


If you are a fan of apples or anything that smells & taste like the holidays, then these cookies are made for you! I can't make enough of these yummy little treats. They are awesome!

Caramel Apple Cookies


1/2 c. butter flavor crisco
1-1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. apple juice
2-1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 c. peeled, cored and shredded apples
5 Tblsp. finely chopped walnuts (optional)

Frosting:
2-3 Tblsp. margarine
1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
2 Tblsp. water
1-1/2 c. powdered sugar
2-3 Tblsp. milk


In a large mixing bowl, cream together brown sugar and crisco. Beat in egg and 1/4 c. of the apple juice. Set aside.


In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Stir to mix well. Gradually add dry ingredients to the brown sugar mixture. Mix well. Stir in remaining apple juice and shredded apples until well blended.


Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto a silpat lined or greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 10-13 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly then transfer to wire cooling racks. Glaze with frosting and top with walnuts.

To make frosting:



Combine margarine, brown sugar and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat & stir until melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove pan from heat and stir in powdered sugar and enough milk to make a spreadable frosting consistency. Use immediately to glaze/frost cookies. If frosting hardens too quickly, return pan to low heat and stir to in more milk as needed.

Click HERE for printable recipe

3 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

Hi these cookies sound yummy. Can I use butter in place of the crisco and margarine? If I did, would I just cut back on the apple juice?

Blessed Beyond said...

OH my! These sound wonderful!!! Makes my mouth water! I hope yall are doing good. We are good. Sorry I haven't been around to much. I'm so glad Corporate at Ryans listened. I did call and I meant to let you know. But It's been crazy with the flu for 2 weeks and Lil E's injury! So it's been chaos.. And all the adoption stuff going on too. Thanks for understanding. Can you email me yalls contact info... Thank you so much!
Hugs and love,

Keeper of the Home said...

Domestic ~
funny you ask this...I used crisco because I didn't have butter on hand tonight. Normally I use butter but the crisco worked well. I wouldn't use margarine as it tends to make a flatter more spread out cookie than I like with butter or crisco. As for the apple juice...just leave the measurements as is.

Blessed ~ I can totally understand the business with everything going on. I am going to pop you an email tonight.

~Mrs.M