Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Simply Great Green Beans


(Green Beans from Thanksgiving 2008 are in the burgundy casserole. Click on image to enlarge view)

Last year as I was preparing for Thanksgiving dinner, I thought about the green bean casserole. Granted it's a good side dish but honestly...it's not my favorite thing in the world. So I began searching for a new take on this traditional side. That's when I landed over at Counting My Blessings (now called A Picture's Worth a 1,000 words) and found the recipe for what she called "Simply Great Green Beans." Let me tell you, I made it last Thanksgiving and a few other times during the year and even Hubby remarked that this is our new green bean casserole that we have to have at any holiday dinner. It truly is a simple and great green bean dish.

Simply Great Green Beans
6 (14 .5 oz.) cans whole green beans
1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup Hormel real crumbled bacon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Drain green beans, and pour into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Set aside. Melt butter, and stir in brown sugar. Pour butter and sugar mixture over green beans. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Click HERE for printable recipe

No comments: