Thursday, June 25, 2009

In The Secret Place I Give You My All



When we feel we have been wronged by another it is very easy for our natural man to want to "get even" with that person. But the LORD clearly tells us in Romans 12:19 "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”

There are times in a person's life when they may have faced or are facing diverse trials. We can choose to press in and press on in the things of GOD and let HIM guide us through the issue(s) before us. Or we can sit down and let the enemy beat us over the head in false victory. Yes, false victory, because II Corinthians 2:14 tells us, "Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place."

While it is not wrong for us to feel hurt by another person, we are warned in Scripture to not "add fuel to the fire" or in other words, "don't stir the pot." Matthew 5:39 "But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." For anyone it is hard to not want to fight back, but for the Christian, we have an advantage that Philippians 4:13 speaks of, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." God's Holy Spirit, living within us, enables us to live and empowers us to live, think, act and not act, in a way and manner altogether differently from the normal.*

If I can't get even with someone than what am I supposed to do? The LORD says "And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me." Psalm 50:15. Psalm 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." JESUS exemplifies how to handle our hurts and offenses...I Peter 2:23 "Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:"

So when I pray to the LORD, can I ask Him to strike that person down or whatever He needs to do to "get them" on my behalf? After all, they hurt me, so LORD hurt them back. It's not necessarily a sin to pray that GOD take vengeance on our behalf but we need to remember Psalm 145:17 "The LORD is just in all His ways, and kind in all His doings." Our hurts & offenses can be turned to blessing for us as Romans 8:28 says "We know that in everything God works for good with those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose."

On the other hand, it's very easy for us to take the attitude and think "I can get that person now and not have to wait for the LORD ; after all the LORD is too slow and I want to see them get theirs now!" So we go about doing things "our" way. The problem with that is that it can backfire on you and cause more problems greater than the first. In some cases, innocent people can be drug into the situation (regardless that they had nothing to do with it in the first place) & are hurt by your selfish need to make things right, or at least to make yourself feel a little better about things.

So instead of doing it your way, give it to the LORD and let HIM work on your behalf. After all, HIS ways are better than ours, and remember ~ GOD is not subject to our time table. HE is never late but in fact is always on time! Be still and know that HE is GOD.

*Quote from Timothy Cross BA(Hons), BD(Hons), Th.D.


No comments: