Friday, June 26, 2009

Blogger Spotlight ~ A Peachy Keen Life

The other day Ronda inspired me with her homemade shower cleaner. Since our shower seems to get the biggest work out, in comparison to our garden tub, I am forever having to clean it to keep the soap scum & mildew off the shower floor & walls. I don't prefer to use harsh chemicals as the noxious fumes are horrible, not to mention it can harm the tile and grout. So I decided I would give Ronda's recipe a try. The photos she posted of her clean shower were beautiful. Let's see how it works on our shower. As much as I don't want to admit it, our shower was pretty gross before this mornings clean job, so you will be able to see the full effect of things. (I apologize in advance for them being dark, I was out of camera batteries and had to use the camcorder.)

Before Photos:



Ronda’s Shower Cleaner
Vinegar
Baking soda
Long handled scrub brush
HOT water

Sprinkle baking soda all over floor of shower, then using a spray bottle of vinegar, spray the baking soda. The vinegar will “activate” the baking soda causing a bubbling effect. This is how you know it’s working.




Allow vinegar & baking soda to sit for a few minutes*, then using a long handled scrub brush, scrub shower area. Rinse with HOT water, then dry shower with a towel.

After Photos:






So what are my thoughts on the cleaner? I think it worked well. Granted the images don't show you the true view point of the areas but I can tell a big difference. I especially like the fact that this cleaner rinses away easily. Unlike Ajax or Comet, I don't have to rinse and re-rinse multiple times to get everything cleaned off. The smell was another key point..it was pleasant to the nose which means you can use it in small spaces without being over powered by fumes. It worked well on the mildew stains in the crevices without being harsh to the grout. Let's not forget the cost of the cleaner. It is so much cheaper than buying a commercial brand. So, "cha-ching" in my pocket and not the corporate moguls.

Once again Ronda, you have yet another winning recipe in my books!

Click HERE for printable recipe

*My personal note: While the solution is soaking on the tile, don't waste those moments..start wiping down the vanity area, or scrubbing your toilet bowl. Remember, you are not wanting to stay all day in the bathroom cleaning so make every minute count.

3 comments:

Ronda said...

Hi sweetie,

Oh my, I am so please that you liked the shower cleaner.

Cheap and Cheerful, Fabulous and Frugal.

By the By...your shower looks fabulous too.

Your "new" blog is perfect.

Sometimes it is easy to drift away from where/what we originaly intended to be or to do.
Sometimes that is part of the journey as well. It does in the long run help to be a reminder of where we were originaly going.

Does that make any sense to anyone but me.???

Love & Prayers,
Ronda

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Just had a few minutes to "pop in" ... still out of town w/ VERY limited computer access ... LOVING the new look on your blog.

This is the same general cleaner recipe I use at home as well. Not only does it clean well but it certainly saves lots of $$$.

Glad to see you all are doing well and praying for your dad's quick recovery.

Mrs.B

Keeper of the Home said...

Mrs. B ~

I am so glad to hear from you. I have been thinking of you and wondering how things were going.

Thank you so much for your prayers for my Dad. That means more than you know.

~Mrs. M