Friday, June 26, 2009

Accidents Happen



In my restful sleep I rolled over and immediately my eyes popped wide open. What did I just feel with my foot? Could it be...? I tossed the covers back to find that my thought was right...the dog had peed on our bed! UUGGHH!!!! This is so not a good way to wake up in the morning.

Needless to say my day has begun earlier than I would prefer it to have. So I stripped the bed of it's linens and made my way to the washer. On to part two of the mess...the mattress. I was not about to just let the mattress dry with out first treating the problem. So here's an easy, inexpensive way to clean urine from a mattress (which some of you probably already know about.)

Here's what you will need:
vinegar
water
baking soda
hydrogen peroxide
liquid dish soap


1. For recent/fresh urine on a mattress...blot up as much of it as you can using paper towels. Apply plenty of pressure to reach the dampness deep down. You may even need to stand on the towels to really reach deep down. If you own a wet/dry vac, try sucking out as much of the moisture as you can. If you are treating a previously dried urine stain, skip this step and move to step 2.

2. In a spray bottle mix
a solution of 50% vinegar & 50% water. Shake well to mix. Spray solution over soiled area. Don't saturate the mattress but you will want to use the solution liberally. Repeat step one to blot the moisture from the cleaning solution. Repeat as necessary.

3. In a cup, combine 1 c. hydrogen peroxide with 1 tsp. dish washing liquid. Set aside. Liberally sprinkle baking soda over the soiled area and then sprinkle the baking soda with your peroxide mixture. Work the concoction into the mattress and allow to sit for about 15 minutes. Repeat blotting method (step 1.) Allow mattress to dry.

4. Once mattress has dried, vacuum to remove any residue.
If you follow these easy steps any and all odor should be eliminated.

Click HERE for printable instructions

No comments: