Thursday, May 14, 2009

French Toast Casserole

Mornings can run short on time when your trying to get the family ready and head out to Sunday service at Church. So instead of doing the quick bowl of cereal or frozen waffles, I wanted to treat my family to a hearty breakfast. How can I do that though when there seems to be so much to do before we leave? The solution is simple...start the night before!

French Toast Casserole
8-10 c. bread cubes (I had left over crust from sandwiches that I cubed and placed in a freezer bag for later use. I saved them up over the past few weeks and they sure did come in handy.)
8 eggs
2 c. milk (I used 2% as that is what I had on hand)
1 c. buttermilk
4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt

Topping
2 Tblsp. butter; cubed
3 Tblsp. sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon


Place bread cubes in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milks, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread cubes. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot top of casserole with butter.


In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of casserole.


Cover and bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand about 5 minutes. Can be served with maple syrup if desired.


This recipe will feed 6-8 people depending on how large your serving portions are. So this would make a great breakfast for when you have overnight guest stay with you.

Click HERE for printable recipe

2 comments:

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

I have a recipe for something VERY similar to this ... All I can say is, "I hope your readers try it, It's YUM YUM!"

Mrs.B

Betty said...

Sounds good! I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!